Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

一番二千八!

I have a little bit of downtime tonight since I finished a project for my Chaucer class early (Editions of The Canterbury Tales), so I figured I would post something I've been meaning to post for the last 2 months... My top 10 albums of 2008! At the same time, I'll catch up quickly with what has been going on as of late.

Top 10 (I mean, 15) of 2008:
  1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  2. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
  3. Passion Pit - Chunk of Change
  4. Dr. Dog - Fate
  5. Pwrfl Power - Pwrfl Power
  6. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
  7. Lykke Li - Youth Novels
  8. Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane
  9. Foals - Antidotes
  10. Lightspeed Champion - Falling off the Lavender Bridge
  11. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
  12. Magnetic Fields - Distortion
  13. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
  14. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Pershing (Guilty pleasure alert!)
  15. Deerhoof - Offend Maggie
2008 promised a lot more than 2009 has offered so far, but I will remain confident that some good stuff will come around later on. So far I've been digging the new Appleseed Cast and Matt and Kim, but not much else. My Music Director stuff at WJCU has been going well as I've been talking to most of my new contacts at aam, Pirate, Planetary, and a few other promotion companies. My replacement is studying abroad in China right now and will be taking over at the end of the semester when I graduate. As much as I'll miss the free stuff, I won't miss the hassle and mass quantities of voice mails and e-mails that I would never be able to respond to even if it were my only job.

I've also been working at the admissions office doing loads of data entry and filing, as well as Fady's falafel palace where it's been pretty slow and people have been cheap. Ah, the economy...

I've been reading a lot for my classes (ligitamately) for the first time in four years, and have also been regularly working out for the first time ever at the local YMCA's. Here's a list of the most recent things I've been reading:
  • The Canterbury Tales: I'm taking a Chaucer course and we're reading most of the Tales along with some other poems and things.
  • TS Eliot - The Complete Poems, selected prose, & his biography by Peter Ackroyd: I'm taking a course on Eliot and it's a little much. I love some of his stuff but I hate most of it. My professor just likes reading it aloud. We'll see how it pans out.
  • A.S. Byatt - Angels & Insects: I couldn't take all of the rants about ants or the incest.
  • Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains of the Day: Better than the latter but pretty lackluster. I would rather never read another novel about a butler again unless it's raunchy.
  • Plato - Symposium: Changed my life.
  • Foucault - The History of Sexuality: What the Foucault?
Other than that, add a little Japanese and then I've got nothing. I've just been waiting for replies from graduate schools to try to stake out my future after May, (EDIT: I was just accepted into Cleveland State!) and have been doing things with Ryan. He recently did a great presentation at Pecha Kucha night called Cleveland 3.1, we hit up the Tremont Taphouse for dinner on Valentine's day, and have been way too addicted to 30 Rock...

And on that note, it's Thursday night so I need to go watch 30 Rock after I down the rest of my White Russian.

Until a few months from now...

1 comment:

katherine said...

foucault: never liked him
kazuo ishiguro: didn't know what the fuss was about
a.s. byatt: blurgh

talk to me about some feminist literary criticism yo!

sorry i didn't make it to the partay. was it awful?